Learning Session 5: Connecting Improvement Science and Research
PRESENTER: Peter Margolis, MD, PhD
Participants will be able to:
- Define the stages of development for studies of complex interventions;
- Apply an improvement framework to design of an improvement initiative; and
- Discuss how an improvement framework applies to your own project.
- Campbell M, Fitzpatrick R, Haines A, et al. Framework for design and evaluation of complex interventions to improve health. BMJ. 2000;321(7262):694–696. doi:10.1136/bmj.321.7262.694
- Campbell NC, Murray E, Darbyshire J, et al. Designing and evaluating complex interventions to improve health care. BMJ. 2007;334(7591):455–459. doi:10.1136/bmj.39108.379965.B
- Moen R. A Guide to Idealized Design. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Institute for Healthcare Improvement; 2002.
- Craig P, Dieppe P, Macintyre S, Michie S, Nazareth I, Petticrew M. Developing and evaluating complex interventions: the new Medical Research Council guidance. BMJ. 2008 Sep 29;337:a1655. doi: 10.1136/bmj.a1655.
Learning Session 5_ Connecting Improvement Science