Learning Session 6: Responsible Conduct of QI and QI Research
PRESENTER: Jonathan Finkelstein, MD, MPH, Boston Children's Hospital
Participants will be able to:
- Describe two or more ways in which typical QI projects differ from human subjects research;
- Assess whether your own project should require IRB review from an ethical perspective, and whether it does require IRB review in your own institution; and
- In two minutes or less, make a logical argument for why local IRBs should create an alternate and simplified pathway for review and approval of QI projects.
- Joshua R, Downing NL, Shieh L, Heidenreich P, and Cho MK. “Ethical Oversight of Quality Improvement and the Research- QI Boundary: A New Common Rule Changes Little,” Hasting Center Report 39 (2017): 2-10.
- Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) Website. Quality Improvement Activities FAQs.
Learning Session 6_Responsible Conduct of QI