Learning Session 2: Learning Health Systems Introduction
PRESENTER: Christopher Forrest, MD, PhD, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Participants will be able to:
- Define a Learning Health System scientifically and in lay terms;
- Describe the system properties that are important to a Learning Health System; and
- List and define the core concepts of a Learning Health System.
- Greene SM, Reid RJ, Larson EB. Implementing the learning health system: from concept to action. Ann Intern Med. 2012 Aug 7;157(3):207-10. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-157-3-201208070-00012.
- Reid RJ, Fishman PA, Yu O, Ross TR, Tufano JT, Soman MP, Larson EB. Patient-centered medical home demonstration: a prospective, quasi-experimental, before and after evaluation. Am J Manag Care. 2009 Sep 1;15(9):e71-87.
- Forrest C, Chesley F Jr, Tregear M and Mistry K. Development of the Learning Health System Researcher Core Competencies. Health Serv Res. 2018 Aug;53(4):2615-2632. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12751.
- Smith M, Saunders R, Stuckhardt L, McGinnis JM, Editors; Committee on the Learning Health Care System in America; Institute of Medicine. Best Care at Lower Cost: The Path to Continuously Learning Health Care in America. Institute of Medicine 2013. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/13444.
Learning Session 2_LHS Introduction